Sunday, 11 March 2012

13 Baptism: Taking Upon Ourselves the Name of Christ


Next week we will be talking about baptism.

Think back to the day you were baptised. What do you remember about it? 

I will share some of my memories here, and hopefully you can come prepared to class ready to share some of yours.

I was baptised in 1992 on the Sunday after my eighth birthday. I remember that lots of my extended family were there as well as my friends from church and a couple of my best friends from school. I had asked one of my teachers from primary to give a talk and although I do not really remember what was said, I was pleased that she had accepted the invitation to speak, because she had moved away to another ward since teaching me in primary and I felt honoured that she would return to speak at my baptism.

I remember that I received gifts from my family and friends - particularly a journal from my grandparents and a fancy pen from my aunt and uncle. I determined that I would write in it every day as I was now a member of the Church, and I did for a short while, but eventually my journal writing dropped off again as it has done from time to time ever since. If I can find the pages I wrote when I was eight I will bring them to the lesson to show you.

As far as the baptism itself, I only remember that the water was surprisingly warm and that my dad baptised me. I was surprised how quickly it all happened, and afterwards I felt like I wanted to do it again, but thought I would never get the chance to be baptised again. At that time I did not realise that when I was twelve I would go to the temple in London - Preston Temple was not yet completed when I turned twelve - and perform baptisms in place of members of my family who had died without having received the essential ordinance of baptism by the correct authority. I was pleased when I could go and do this as it reminded me of how I felt when I was baptised - I felt clean and pure and like I wanted to live my life in a good way to be as good as I could in order to make mine and others' lives happier.

Standing as Witnesses of God

This is one of the promises we make as part of our baptismal covenant. To learn more about how we can do this we will discuss the following scenarios, and what we would or should do in each one.

Last of all, here is the break the code activity to re-emphasise the promises we made in our baptism.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.